Gully Beach, also known as Y2 beach, lies some 2km north of X beach and about the same distance south of Y beach. The distinctive headland is useful as an identifier for first-time visitors. In 1915, the beach became a major transit point for the slowly advancing front line further up the gully. From the position of the photo, Gully Ravine itself runs to the north eastward, to the right of the headland, and the sea lies to the left. Looking sharp right (not visible in this picture) a small offshoot gully can be discerned, although at most times of year this is so overgrown that it is easy to miss. This was the headquarters area of 29th Division.
The headland is relatively unchanged from 1915, except that then it was covered in dugouts and workings, and relatively bare of undergrowth. The dust and sand still conceals much evidence of occupation. In the above photo, the grass covered rise on the immediate right is the location of a small battlefield cemetery in 1915, designated H29. Two men were executed in this area. Private Thomas Davis of the 1/Royal Munster Fusiliers, was found guilty of deserting his post and was shot by firing squad on 2nd July 1915. Sergeant John Robins of the 5/Wiltshire Regiment was charged with three counts of post desertion and disobeying orders and was shot on 2nd January 1916. The position of this event is recorded as being 'about 400 yards north of Gully Beach.'